Online Safety Presentations
Children & Youth
ChatGPT / AI
With over 20 years of experience in delivering online safety presentations, my goal is to engage students and encourage them to examine their online interactions and choices. As a seasoned youth counsellor, I understand child and youth development and present students with both the positive aspects and potential harms of the digital world. I acknowledge their curiosity, knowledge and mastery of technology while offering suggestions and resources to make themselves safer.
Why Trust Merlyn Horton to Talk to Your Students?
Engaging and Interactive Learning Experience:
- Students participate in an engaging, interactive learning experience that encourages them to reflect on their online behaviour and consequences. Thought-provoking discussions and activities help students gain valuable insights into staying safe online and protecting their digital identities. Students receive information that aligns with the B.C. Curriculum Core Competencies, ensuring well-rounded learning outcomes.
Comprehensive Coverage of Online Safety Topics:
- Students will learn up-to-date information on a wide range of online safety topics resulting in a comprehensive understanding of the digital landscape. From responsible screen time effects on their mental health to how their digital reputations will affect their futures to the latest sextortion tactics used by predators online—I address the most relevant and pressing online issues faced by children and youth today.
Customized Solutions for Your School Community:
- Customization to meet the unique needs and priorities of each school community is a primary benefit of my presentations. By collaborating closely with teachers, school administrators and parent groups, I ensure that my presentations are tailored to align with your educational goals and personal values. Inclusion and reconciliation are at the forefront of my approach, fostering a safe and inclusive environment for all participants.
Benefits of Choosing My Online Safety Presentations:
- Engaging and interactive sessions that captivate students’ attention and spark meaningful discussions
- In-depth exploration of both the positive aspects and the potential harms of online platforms
- Alignment with B.C. Curriculum Core Competencies, enhancing students’ learning outcomes
- Practical strategies and tips for staying safe online and protecting digital identities
- Customization options to address the specific needs and values of your school community
Empower your students to be responsible digital citizens
Book your Online Safety Presentations today to equip your students with the essential knowledge and skills needed for safe and responsible online navigation this fall.
Schedule a call today to discuss your requirements and schedule a presentation that will create a positive and informed digital community for your school community.
CONTACT MERLYN FOR A FREE 15-MINUTE CONSULTATION
Student Presentation Topics
Your Life Online: Becoming a Responsible Digital Citizen
Your LIfe Online is designed to educate students in grades 6-10 on various aspects of responsible digital citizenship. The aim is to provide them with the knowledge and tools necessary to navigate the online world safely and responsibly. The presentation will cover the following topics:
1. Permanent Digital Reputations:
– Definition and importance of permanent digital reputations
– Understanding the long-term implications of online actions
– Tips for cultivating a positive digital footprint
2. Taking and Posting Photos of Other People Online:
– Canadian legalities surrounding posting photos online
– Managing GEO tags and protecting privacy
– Developing good photography habits and respecting consent
3. Social Media:
– Current trends in social media and their impact
– Safety suggestions for protecting personal information online
4. Screen Time Management:
– Understanding the addictive nature of apps and games
– Strategies for building focus and setting boundaries
– Promoting a healthy balance between screen time and offline activities
6. Online Drama and Cyber Abuse:
– Distinguishing between online drama and abuse
– Understanding the legal implications of cyber abuse
– Promoting kindness online and seeking help when faced with abuse
– Recognizing the positive aspects of gaming and its educational potential
– Addressing concerns such as trolling and in-game abuse
– Understanding age ratings and responsible gaming practices
– History and legal definitions of sexting
– Recognizing the risks of online sextortion
– Tips for responding, reporting, and practicing safe sexting habits
9. Online Pornography:
– Acknowledging the existence of online pornography
– Promoting healthy attitudes and resisting excessive viewing
– Alternative sources of information on sexual health
By addressing these topics, the presentation aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills needed to navigate the digital world responsibly, promotes positive online interactions and personal online safety.
Unmasking the Truth: Navigating AI, Fake News, and Critical Thinking Online
Unmasking the Truth is an engaging and informative presentation designed for students in grades 6-10. This presentation explores AI and it’s applications, the dynamic relationship between artificial intelligence (AI) and the proliferation of fake news and focuses on how AI technologies like ChatGPT can influence the dissemination of information.
Through thought-provoking examples and interactive exercises, students will develop essential skills in critical thinking, ethical decision-making, source verification, and media literacy. They will gain the tools necessary to navigate the complexities of AI and fake news while upholding integrity and ethical standards.
The key aspects covered in the presentation include:
1. AI and Fake News:
– Recognizing the impact of AI on the digital landscape
– Understanding the role of AI in shaping information dissemination
– Exploring how AI technologies can contribute to the spread of fake news
2. Critical Thinking Skills:
– Developing critical thinking abilities to evaluate information critically
– Enhancing skills in discerning reliable sources from misleading ones
– Encouraging skepticism and questioning of information encountered online
3. Ethical Decision-Making:
– Exploring the ethical considerations surrounding the use of AI in news and information sharing
– Discussing the responsibility of individuals in sharing accurate and truthful information
– Promoting ethical behaviour and integrity in the digital realm
4. Source Verification and Media Literacy:
– Teaching strategies for verifying the authenticity and reliability of sources
– Enhancing media literacy skills to discern credible information from misinformation
– Providing tools and resources for fact-checking and evaluating sources
By attending this presentation, students will be equipped to become better consumers of information in the digital age. They will gain the knowledge and skills needed to navigate the intricate relationship between AI and fake news, empowering them to make informed decisions and uphold integrity when engaging with online content.
To secure your presentation, book by June 30th.
Contact Merlyn Horton for a 15-minute consultation to discuss your specific requirements.